Professor Iain Gosbell is Associate Dean (Academic) and Foundation Professor of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology at the School of Medicine, Western Sydney University, Australia, and joint chair of the Antibiotic Resistance and Mobile Elements Group, Ingham Institute/School of Medicine, Western Sydney University, and was previously Director of the Department of Microbiology & Infectious Diseases at Sydney Southwest Pathology Service, Liverpool, until 2009, and became a Clinical Academic in SSWPS on taking up the WSU post. His doctoral thesis described the emergence of community MRSA in south western Sydney, and he subsequently developed research interests in the epidemiology of MRSA in the community and also in hospitals, and the detection of vancomycin resistance in MRSA. He established the Infection Prevention Unit at Liverpool Hospital in conjunction with their Infection Control Practitioners.
Since commencing at Western Sydney University in late 2009, he helped establish the Antibiotic Resistance and Mobile Elements Group (ARMEG) which is now based at the Ingham Institute for Applied Medical Research at Liverpool. ARMEG consists of Professor Gosbell, Dr Slade Jensen, Dr Björn Espedido and A/Prof Sebastiaan van Hal. Its mission is to research the genetics responsible for antibiotic resistance, especially vancomycin and daptomycin resistance in MRSA, plasmid biology of MRSA, and the contribution of bacterial biofilms to healthcare-associated infections.
With respect to the latter, in conjunction with A/Prof Karen Vickery of Surgical Infection Research Group, Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences, Macquarie University, and Mr Greg Whiteley of the Whiteley Corporation, a collaborative group to research the role of biofilms in the transmission of microorganisms in healthcare settings has formed. The group discovered biofilms grow on dry surfaces in hospitals, and developed a model to work out how biofilms can grow on dry surfaces and to test various hospital disinfectants against dry surface biofilms. Professor Gosbell also spearheaded the School of Medicine adopting blended learning to replace traditional lectures to teach Microbiology and Infectious Diseases to undergraduate medical students. He was awarded the 2013 ASM bioMérieux Identifying Resistance Award and the 2014 Ingham Institute/South Western Sydney Local Health District Excellence in Teaching Award.
Fields of research
C1 - Journal Article
- Robyn W. Beresford, Iain B. Gosbell 2016, "Pyrexia of unknown origin : causes, investigation and management", Internal Medicine Journal, Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Asia, Richmond, Vic., vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 1011-1016
- Ahmad Almatroudi, Iain B. Gosbell, Honghua Hu, Slade O. Jensen, Björn Espedido, Shamaila Tahir, Trevor Glasbey, P. Legge, Greg S. Whiteley, . [And Two Others] 2016, "Staphylococcus aureus dry-surface biofilms are not killed by sodium hypochlorite : implications for infection control", Journal of Hospital Infection, W. B. Saunders, U.K., vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 263-270
- Hu H, Johani K, Gosbell IB, Jacombs ASW, Almatroudi A, Whiteley GS, Deva AK, Jensen S, Vickery K 2015, "Intensive care unit environmental surfaces are contaminated by multidrug-resistant bacteria in biofilms: Combined results of conventional culture, pyrosequencing, scanning electron microscopy, and confocal laser microscopy", Journal of Hospital Infection, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 35-44
- Whiteley GS, Knight JL, Derry CW, Jensen SO, Vickery K, Gosbell IB 2015, "A pilot study into locating the bad bugs in a busy intensive care unit.", American Journal of Infection Control, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 1270-1275
- Chavada R, Hui SH, O'Connor S, Akima S, Gosbell IB 2015, "Post-artesunate delayed haemolysis in severe imported Plasmodium falciparum malaria", Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 203, no. 9, p. 364
- Dotel R, Gosbell IB, Hofmeyr A 2015, "Compliance with Australian splenectomy guidelines in patients undergoing posttraumatic splenectomy at a tertiary centre", Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 202, no. 5, p. IV
- Almatroudi A, Hu H, Deva A, Gosbell IB, Jacombs A, Jensen SO, Whiteley G, Glasbey T, Vickery K 2015, "A new dry-surface biofilm model: An essential tool for efficacy testing of hospital surface decontamination procedures", Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 117, pp. 171-176
- Honghua Hu, Khalid Johani, Iain B. Gosbell, Anita S. Jacombs, Ahmad Almatroudi, Greg S. Whiteley, Anand K. Deva, Slade O. Jensen, Karen Vickery 2015, "Intensive care unit environmental surfaces are contaminated by multidrug-resistant bacteria in biofilms : combined results of conventional culture, pyrosequencing, scanning electron microscopy, and confocal laser microscopy", Journal of Hospital Infection, W. B. Saunders, U.K., vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 35-44
- Ahmad Almatroudi, Honghua Hu, Anand K. Deva, Iain B. Gosbell, Anita S. Jacombs, Slade O. Jensen, Greg S. Whiteley, Trevor Glasbey, Karen Vickery 2015, "A new dry-surface biofilm model : an essential tool for efficacy testing of hospital surface decontamination procedures", Journal of Microbiological Methods, Elsevier, Netherlands, vol. 117, pp. 171-176
- Iain B. Gosbell 2014, VISA and hVISA in hospitals, Microbiology Australia, CSIRO, Clayton, Vic., vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 29-34
- Heather CS, Foo H, Gosbell IB 2014, "Do death certificates accurately record deaths due to bloodstream infection?", Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 201, no. 9, p. 518
- Van Hal SJ, Steen JA, Espedido BA, Grimmond SM, Cooper MA, Holden MTG, Bentley SD, Gosbell IB, Jensen SO 2014, "In vivo evolution of antimicrobial resistance in a series of Staphylococcus aureus patient isolates: The entire picture or a cautionary tale?", Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 363-367
- Karen Vickery, Aanand K. Deva, Anita S. Jacombs, James M. Allan, Pedro M. Valente, Iain B. Gosbell 2012, "Presence of biofilm containing viable multiresistant organisms despite terminal cleaning on clinical surfaces in an intensive care unit", Journal of Hospital Infection, W.B. Saunders, U.K., vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 52-55
- Iain B. Gosbell 2012, Managing MRSA infections in the community, Medicine Today, Medicine Today Pty. Ltd., Neutral Bay, N.S.W., vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 69-74
- Iain Gosbell 2011, "Emergence of daptomycin resistance following vancomycin-unresponsive Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia in a daptomycin-naïve patient a review of the literature", European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases, Springer, Springer Verlag, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 603-610
- Iain Gosbell 2011, "Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in veterinary practice.", Australian Veterinary Journal, Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd, United Kingdom, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 148-151
- Sebastiaan Van Hal, M.C Wehrhahn, T Barbagiannoakos, J Mercer, D Chen, D.L Paterson, Iain Gosbell 2011, "Performance of various testing methodologies for detection of heteroresistant vancomycin-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus in bloodstream isolates", Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 1489-1494
- S.A Neville, A Lecordier, H Ziochos, M.J Chater, Iain Gosbell, M.W Maley, Sebastiaan Van Hal 2011, "Utility of matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry following introduction for routine laboratory bacterial identification", Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 2980-2984
- Sebastiaan Van Hal, M Jones, Iain Gosbell, D.L Paterson 2011, "Vancomycin Heteroresistance is Associated with Reduced Mortality in ST239 Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Blood Stream Infections", PloS One, vol. 6, no. 6
- Sebastiaan Van Hal, T. Barbagiannakos, M. Jones, M.C. Wehrhahn, J. Mercer, D. Chen, D.L. Paterson, Iain Gosbell 2011, "Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus vancomycin susceptibility testing: Methodology correlations, temporal trends and clonal patterns", Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 66, no. 10, pp. 2284-2287
- B Varghese, R Sanghavi, A Aziz, Iain Gosbell 2010, Toxic shock syndrome caused by hospital-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a patient with pancytopenia., Critical Care and Resuscitation, Australasian Academy of Critical Care Medicine, Australia, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 50-52
- Sa Neville, Iain Gosbell 2010, Rapid microbial identifications by MALDITOF : viva la revolution, Microbiology Australia, Australia Society for Microbiology, Australia, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 111-114
- A Jardine, S Conaty, M Cretikos, W Su, Iain Gosbell, Sebastiaan Van Hal 2010, Influenza A testing and detection in patients admitted through emergency departments in Sydney during winter 2009 : implications for rational testing, Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 193, no. 8, pp. 455-459
- Ya-Shu Chang, Sebastiaan Van Hal, Peter Spencer, Iain Gosbell, Peter Collett 2010, Comparison of adult patients hospitalised with pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza and seasonal influenza during the "PROTECT" phase of the pandemic response., Medical Journal of Australia, Australasian Medical Publishing Company Pty. Ltd., Australia, vol. 192, no. 2, pp. 90-93
- Iain Gosbell, T Gottlieb, Am Kesson, Jj Post, De Dwyer 2010, "Immunisation and multi-dose vials", Vaccine, Biological Sciences, vol. 28, no. 40, pp. 6556-6561
- 2014 Ingham Institute Goldstar Award (NHMRC Near-miss); .
- 2014 Ingham Institute/South Western Sydney Local Health District Excellence in Teaching Award; .
- 2012 ICU Environmental Biofilms and Healthcare-Associated Infections Iain Gosbell, Karen Vickery, Mary-Louise McLaws; Western Sydney University (WSU).